Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2012

Angry Birds

This is a swarm of arctic terns in Vatnsnes, Iceland. Arctic terns are among the most aggressive of the sea birds.Their favorite passtime is to divebomb people when they get close to them. They really go for blood too. I've had them just inches from my head before. I've heard of people that have had pieces of their scalp ripped off by these birds, and I generally try to stay clear of them. They seem to be after me too, as I'm usually the one being attacked. The area where our campsite was located, however, was right next to an arctic tern breeding ground, which has been made into a sanctuary, complete with an observation platform from which you can see one of the largest seal colonies in Iceland. The birds were used to seeing people, and generally tried not to kill or maim us. It was rather unnerving having arctic tern babys sitting on the path, and having to walk by them without getting attacked. We made it back alive, and I think I'm mostly cured of my arctic tern phobia.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen